Note: If you haven't seen the show The O.C., you wouldn't get the reference.
It was a verrry long flight to the US, an hour longer than the one to the Philippines from Germany. It was pretty uneventful for the most part. For now I am enjoying discovering Amerika. You see, the US is the most idolized and fetishized country where I come from, and separating fact from the hype is proving to be an educational experience.
Well, the trip hasn't been entirely uneventful. First of all, I will never fly domestic via U.S. Air ever again. I can't believe that the Charlotte Airport doesn't have automatic baggage forwarding. Second, my first ever encounter with US Immigration Authorities in Charlotte, North Carolina, proved to be quite interesting.
While waiting in line, the "Welcome to America" video played on loop in the airport. I feel that the content is meant to strike fear or at least insecurity into the hearts of men. Is my chocolate roll allowed to pass through? My camera? Do I have my passport? My e-ticket?
Then it was my turn. The man behind the counter was friendly, and asked me several questions, where was I from, why did I have an American accent, why didn't I sound Filipino. All very relevant. He seemed to know a good deal about the Philippines.
Then he looked intently at the computer screen and said. "Well, we have a slight hitch here. You have a name similar to someone who doesn"t like the United States. A lot."
Uh-oh. "Really? Oh wow. Drug-related?"
"Well, let"s just say that the person is a part of a terrorist group, like the Abu Sayyaf."
"That can't be, they're Muslim. I have a Hispanic-sounding name."
"I said like the Abu Sayyaf." A great furrowing of brows. "The State Department should have informed us of this."
"Well, it must be the FARC then."
More typing. "Look, I"m pretty sure you're not this person. But I still have to alert my supervisor about this. I can't make this call." He gave me a card with the number 1 written on it, and put all my documents in a plastic folder. "The problem is that you have a new passport (issued March 2009) and your visa is also new." A great stamping of documents. "We'll give you your luggage when we're done." Then he seemed to have a change of heart and said," You know what, why don't we already pick up your luggage, then we'll lead you to questioning."
A uniformed officer picked me up from the booth and led me to the carousel to pick up my luggage, then led me to a room full of other sad, nervous, or pissed-off looking people. I am pretty sure that no-one was looking, but it was still mortifying doing the "Walk of Shame" with a baby carriage, my luggage, and a uniformed officer beside me. Ohmigod, please don"t let the others think that I am a mule, I thought, thinking of the movie Maria Full of Grace.
I was called out, an this time a dour-looking man faced me and asked sternly. "From which country did you fly?" " Where was your passport issued?" " Can you give me your birthdate, please?" "Do you have a return flight?" "Show me your ticket please."
Bleary from the 9-hour flight and jet lag, I answered in short sentences, monosyllabic if possible. Seemingly satisfied with my answers, he handed back my documents and said, "The door is over there."
And onwards to freedom.
I want to make clear that I bear no ill will to the US Government and know that they are just doing their jobs, and this is all just a case of miscommunication. I saw that the first gentleman felt badly about sending me to his unsmiling supervisor, and really tried to expedite my processing and minimize my inconvenience. I also know that the US State Department did their job thoroughly. They even pulled out my old Petition to Immigrate from 1987, the reason why my parents are now in the US.
But still, nothing says welcome to the US than being escorted by a uniformed officer into a room. Welcome to the US, bitch.
In lust with life!
Thursday, June 03, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That's a pretty fortunate unfortunate experience. Good to know they are doing their jobs and also good to know they don't treat you like a criminal as they're questioning you. I sympathize with you, though: long flight, a baby in tow, that walk of shame...welcome to the US and may the rest of your trip make up nicely for the awkward beginning!
Hey I lost the link to your blog. Link?
I'm actually a bit relieved to hear that they treated you well during this process. Usually I am dismayed when I hear how people are treated.
I hope that now that you've been documented in the system that future visits stateside go more smoothly.
May the rest of your trip go without incident.
Post a Comment