In lust with life!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Culture Vulture

So sue me, I am the artsy-fartsy type. I like going to plays, watching movies, going to exhibits, that sort of thing. I think that being a Libra has got something to do with it. My grandmother was also a great influence. She traded antiques during the 80s, and from her I gleaned a great appreciation for old knick-knacks and paintings. Its just sad that I don't have the same regard for music, unlike my father, who dabbles in visual art and rock and roll.

Photos

Two of the photographers I greatly admire today are Rene Enriquez and Juan Caguicla. They are so talented, it makes me weep with envy.

Rene's knack for composition is so amazing, his images are so clear. he has a great eye for timing, catching people off-guard and knowing just when to take the shot. A man asleep, children playing, an ephemeral butterfly landing at the lip of a small birdbath. quiet, unexpected moments as life unfurls. It helps that he is a painter. Painters are reputedly better photographers because they are formally trained in proportions, colors, shadows, that sort of thing.

I first encountered Juan's work during an exhibit that Elber put together last year. I was so amazed by the works of this man, how he plays with shadow and sepia, how it seems dated yet timeless. One of his photos was especially striking: A lonely tree seemingly ablaze in a dry field of brush, its leaves shimmering, disappearing. into the air. His work reminds me of the trompe-l'oeil movement of the mid 19th century, except this time, his photographs looked more like paintings than the paintings trying to look like photographs.

I accosted him later to congratulate his work and ask how he did it. He told me that he was dabbling with infrared film at the time, but he didn't have time to talk shop because he had to leave.

Juan currently has an exhibit at the Greenbelt 3 Mall, which would end on June 1. His exhibit called Parispace/Paristreet was commissioned by the Alliance Française, who sent him to Paris to uncover ordinary life existing along these amazing landmarks romanticized worldwide. I had to see it because I was interested at what Juan had to offer this time, and because already missed the Christian Lacroix exhibit.

I was not so impressed by most of this current collection. Perhaps I was caught off-guard because was used to his style of staged photographs that look amazing, not photos of pedestrians caught up in daily life. Catching a bird mid-flight as it hovers over the Louvre for me is not impressive. I liked the street-scenes in black and white better. I loved the very strong shadows of those pictures. It made me do a double-take and examine whether the photograph was taken in 1906 or 2006. I am interested how well Rene could have interpreted the same project, since this is more his genre.

Actors

Let us now move on to my crush of the moment, Daniel Brühl

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is Daniel Brühl. He is a German-Spanish hottie of an actor from acclaimed German/ European films such as Der Liebe in Gedanken, Joyeux Noel, and Goodbye Lenin. I am telling the 100 percent truth and not flattering my boyfriend when I say Thomas is 10 times more good looking than Herr Brühl. However, he has an intensity on film that I have yet to see in American or Filipino actors. I think the only time I have seen somebody with the same intensity was Nikolaj Lie Kaas in Reconstruction, an indigestible piece of Danish filmmaking that left me piecing together the fucking movie for days. Maybe I am just dumb like that.

Anyway, Thomas said that actors are self-absorbed assholes who completely in love with themselves. I agree. However, that will not stop me from attacking Herr Brühl and mawing at his chipmunk cheeks if I ever see him in the streets of Berlin. Please stop me.

Unfortunately for me, is engaged to this.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

German actress Jessica Schwarz was once crowned Miss Teen Germany or something. They have been together since 2001. She is perfection. *sigh* A girl can always dream.

Coupling

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I am a fan of the BBC show Coupling. Thank you Star World! The Kumars at Number 42 may be gone, but replacing it with Coupling is genius! BBC shows rawk. Seriously, the writing is so sharp and intelligent. It's so addctive, almost like crack, or granulated Milo. How can people compare it to Friends? It's more like Sex in the City. Star World, please continue to bring British shows to Asia! Too bad Coupling has ended. Jeff is really whack!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past