In lust with life!

Sunday, October 21, 2007

My First Suman Latik

It's a bit too late to include this post in the whole Suman Latik movement of last year, but slap an apron on me and call me Betty Crocker. I made Suman Latik Baby!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I followed the recipe from the English Patis blog. Thanks so much Leila for sending me lihiya for my birthday! I can now make a piece of home whenever I want!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It all started when a student of mine told me that he had to cut down his banana tree for the winter. I asked for all of his banana leaves to make suman! Suman is glutinous rice cake, with lye water mixed in. Before asking me whether suman is toxic, lye water is a staple of SE Asian desserts, and the Germans also use it to make pretzels. It's actually some sort of sodium-potassium mixture, or potash (?)

I had a hard time finding lye water here in my city. I went to the Vietnamese stores, but they all told me that they didn't have it! I think they do have it, but they didn't know what I was talking about. I tried to find the Vietnamese name for lye water, but I didn't find it on the internetz. So if you know the Vietnamese name of lye water, help a poor Filipina sister in need and send me the name! I don't want to trouble Leila of sending me lye water all the way from Darmstadt again!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past