In lust with life!

Monday, October 15, 2007

Love+Marriage= Children?

I have reached a certain age, and I am at a certain point in my life, where people feel entitled to assume that I want to get pregnant. You can pretty much tell a woman's age by the questions people throw at her.

When I was around 23-25ish, people bugged me when I was gonna get married, regardless of the fact that hey, I'm SINGLE! or that I haven't met anybody I was willing to suffer for more than 2 days. Nowadays, MIL, my sister, and most mothers I know are bugging me when I am gonna get pregnant.

My MIL, probably wanting a new purpose in life, has pointedly proposed that we either a)move back to Jena or b) that she move in with us, without any regard for our ambitions or career chances or the fact that I want my privacy, dammit.

I think I am ready for children. However, not now, not yet. I have too many things to do and too many ambitions left unfulfilled. Besides, if childcare were just as easy as it is in the Philippines, where I can hire a nanny for 50 € a month, or in the old GDR, where childcare is institutionalized. But we're not in the GDR anymore, sweetie.

I was glad to know that my mother and my aunt support my decision. Not now, not yet.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past