Ich habe sie schon geschafft! My German language test is behind me. Cross your fingers (or press your thumbs) for the results, which I should get within 6-8 weeks. God, I was so nervous, ice cold and shaking as I took the test. By the time I got to the very end I could hardly hold my pen straight! I hope that the proofers would still give me a four. I had a serious fight or flight attack yesterday from the nerves! I felt like I've run a marathon.
If I pass the test, if I get a 4 (with 5 being the highest) in all four parts of the test (reading, writing, listening, oral), then I can go to University! Get a Master's Degree!
I want it for the sake of getting it. Is that wrong? It seems incompatible with my dream of becoming a travel journalist/travel writer.
I've been seeking the path toward this dream for years now. I was a sucker for all of those travel programs and articles, I guess. Here'e a letter I got two years ago from pro-travel journalist Lester Ledesma:
Hi Catherine,
First of all, my compliments on your decision. Not many people have the guts to follow such a clearly undefined path :)Am wondering though as to what kind of travel journalism you are hoping to get into, as you did mention that you sent applications to travel documentary production houses. Or are you hoping to work with print publishers instead?For a start, I'd suggest you go on your own journeys first and write your own articles about them. At this stage, try to focus more on developing your writer's voice and your photographer's eye - these will be your products for sale, so be sure they are of good quality. Don't worry muna if the stories you write will be published or not. The material that you gather from these trips will be your portfolio, which is very important - think of this as your resume. No editor will believe that you can write a good travel article if you can't show them a good travel article, di ba?
With your portfolio in hand, start calling up editors and show them your work. Some may like what they see and use these stories - if so, ayan... pandagdag sa pogi points mo yan :)The thing is, for a writer who is just starting out, don't expect anyone to hand you an assignment wherein they send you to some faraway place that you'll cover. It just doesn't happen that way. Talagang you'll have to spend for your own travels muna so you can make your stories. Parang investment: travel=raw material. Travel story=final product.Then when you start getting a name for yourself, those cool assignments will come in. Pero matagal pa yan so be patient and concentrate on your products first :)
Sa photography, yeah.. there is a bit of techie stuff connected with it. Pero its not required... what is more important is the quality of the photos you take. So concentrate on developing your photographic style as well - its the "art" that will sell, not the "techie" stuff. Study the work of photographers you admire so you can somehow "absorb" their styles. Again, this will all take lots - maybe years - of work. Money may not be good at first - pero if you're really into it, chances are you'll be able to hack it. Ika nga - if you want it bad enough.... :)
...and I want it badly enough. If I go into pro-blogging then this will definitely be my niche. Wish me luck!
In lust with life!
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment