In lust with life!
Friday, February 16, 2007
moi dix mois
Caught this in Chuvaness's website a month ago. With nothing to do I decided to translate it for kicks. From German TV, interview was also done in Germany. Words in parentheses are mine, for clarification. If anybody can explain the words that I don't quite understand, I will be very grateful. Thanks!
Host: "Today we open the door to a mysterious world. We will meet with Mana, the man that never speaks. Small bling (as in bling bling, jewelry) is good for the shop (or business). Mana has more than one. He founded the Gothic Lolita look, mixing metal with classic and j-pop, and connects big shoes with big theater. Mana whispers, his medium answers. Both their appearances suggest that they know Marilyn Manson. What great secret will he whisper to us?"
K: As a teenager I was a fan or Mötley Crüe. They appealed to me when I saw them in a magazine because they had an extreme style. I found Tommy Lee super, that's why I really wanted a drum set, and my parents actually bought me one. That is what Mana said.
Host: Shortly Tommy Lee would Mana neither become a 'heavy metal-er' nor a drummer, but the guitarrist and the head of the cult Japanese band Malice Mizer. Fans love the hard sound, and the doll-like appearance of the musician (Mana).
With his solo projct Moi dix Mois, the control-freak Mana propels (or boosts) artistry, the Gothis Lolita look and elegant poses to the top. Everything has to be perfect. He prefers to make his own clothes.
K: I opened the fashion/clothes shop moi meme moitie 99% by myself, with clothes for Gothic Lolitas, beause there weren't any clothes that combined something sweet with something dark before. That's exactly what I did. Besides, I don't like short-lived trends, and my concept is for people who see things the same way. That is what Mana said.
Host: And the clothes sell well. There are schoolgirl lolitas with kilts (schottenrock. more likely, plaid skirts) and knee-high socks. Sweet lolitas with rouge, and elegant gothic lolitas with victorian-style corsets. All looks combine innocence and darkness. The fingers spread out to form the sign of Satan and a sweet smile on their lips. Through eiland (? island) is Mana's soul-craving for beauty specially fulfilled.
K: I heard a song from French pop singer Mylene Farmer sometime ago, and the sound of the French language fascinated me. Since then I became interested in French culture. That's what Mana said.
Host: Unexpected thirst (? I don't get the last word. Verdürtnis?) is behind the cult. (I think this means that this unexpected thirst powers the cult). This report about this circuit doesn't quite contain dark experiences and black masses. On the contrary, in Japan the Gothic Lolita Bible contains clothes patterns and recipes for cakes with confectioners sugar crosses. Mana and his fans won't allow themselves to be so easily defined. Devil's signs and baking (? what's backodien?), büschen (?) and evil looks. Perhaps the characterization of the perfect gothic lolita fails because even its creator has a hard time defining it.
K: That's the question of my life. (64$ question). That's what Mana said.
Host: That's when Mana crams back into his own universe made of great secrets and small gestures without so much a whisper. Sayonara, Mana-San.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment