In lust with life!

Friday, November 07, 2008

The Filipinization of Spanish

Despite the pendantic nature of this piece, I still find the differences between Spanish and Filipino unendingly fascinating.

There are some words in Filipino that I never knew were Spanish, given that they could pass off as Malay or Indonesian.

For example, who knew that the Tagalog word KALBO was Spanish? Did you? Nitso?

And I am also amazed that much of the Spanish-derived words used in Tagalog are actually Latin American. We use esposo rather than marido. They say cacahuete here but we say Mani. Cucharita instead of cuchadita.

But on the other hand, we do say Kotse instead of Carro.

There are other words that have changed meaning over the years. The name Casillas would evoke laughter or a nguso to the restroom, but here it has a more innocuous meaning: the little squares that you see in your notebook or crossword puzzle. Averia implies a mechanical problem, but is used to mean all sorts of troubles in the Philippines. Sencillio means easy. In Cebu, sincillio means small change, coins. Don't even get me started on the word coño. Am I even allowed to say that?

And there are other words that are downright bizzare, and I don't even know how the Spanish word for message, recado, became the Tagalog word for ingredients!

There are other words that seem spanish but aren't,like Candila.

If you can think of any other words, just holler. I would like to extend this list!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past