
Elderberry season is long gone in Thuringia, but while it was still in full-bloom, I had a chance to try out an Amiexpat recipe and a German staple, Elderberry syrup, a recipe I got off the internet.
Once I knew what they looked like, I was shoked at how prevalent they really are: It's everywhere, like a freaking weed! All I needed to look for were blooms that were big and not bug-infested; it seems that black flies like sucking on the nectar.
First up is Hollerküchle .

I followed the recipe, but I didn't really dig it so much. I got a headache after eating a couple of them, because the aroma was so intense and sweet, and I can't stand really strong perfume. So this was probaby my first and last attempt at it.
First up is Hollerküchle .

I followed the recipe, but I didn't really dig it so much. I got a headache after eating a couple of them, because the aroma was so intense and sweet, and I can't stand really strong perfume. So this was probaby my first and last attempt at it.

Elderberry syrup isn't so hard to make: See recipe here
My husband likes it so much that we'll probably run out of syrup by the end of summer. This one is definitely a keeper.

No comments:
Post a Comment