As the world knows by now, a giant tsunami has devastated the coasts lying along the Indian Ocean rim. But apart from the tragedy that has befallen more than 500,000 people, I am more amazed at how the human spirit has triumphed over this tragedy, proving that while we can't totally beat mother nature, the human race will always fight back, and survive amidst most terrible adversaries.
As I see the tragedy unfold before the whole world, through the TV screen, newspapers, the internet, and the radio, it is apparent that modern technology has made the whole world a village, a community where people look out for their neighbors.
So far, THREE BILLION US dollars have already been donated worldwide in relief effort. Imagine. This tragedy has involved the over five billion humans living in the planet. I feel that people really do feel for those who have lost loved ones. I guess the scale of the destruction has made people go out of their way and lend a hand, regardless of race or creed. Even the much-maligned insularness of The United States of America, a nation normally apathetic to the plight of third world countries where they do not have any underlying interests in, has melted away. Nations who normally are too wrapped up in their own turmoil have also made their own efforts to help during one of the greatest natural catastrophes of all time.
I feel that this is a glimpse of the world John Lennon has dreamed of.
Though the world is mourning, I have never been more proud to be human.
In lust with life!
Friday, January 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment