So I wasn't really expecting much last Saturday when I had dinner with Thomas, the German. He is 20, an intern for the Konrad Adenauer Foundation. We met during the State of the Nation Address ceremonies.
I was pleasantly surprised when we found out that we had a lot in common. He loves the beach and traveling. He just came from an exchange-student program in Bali, Indonesia (wise, that boy), and showed me his pictures during his stay there. He grew himself a full, shaggy mountain man beard (eww!), and had a laugh over his experiences.
We had dinner at a restaurant in Greenbelt, where we exchanged stories and information about our cultures. It wasn't really that I was attracted to him, more like we felt very at ease with each other.
Throughout the dinner, he talked about his life as a POOR GERMAN STUDENT (think Hideki from Chobits). So when time came to pick up the tab, I voluntarily picked up my wallet to foot my share of the bill. Normally, I wouldn't do this since Filipino women are taught that you should never pick up the tab during dates. However, I wanted to be sensitive to European customs, since he has only been in the Philippines for a week. How would he know about Filipino customs?
He said that he wanted to go somewhere quiet, so we went to my favorite hang-out place in Quezon City, Seventy-7 bar. We talked for a bit more, and he did the whole finger-tracing-palm routine (apparently, this very corny and awkwardly romantic practice trancends culture and races among college boys). It was just then when my phone rang. It was my sister, asking what I was wearing and how the date was going. Of couse, we were speaking in Filipino. I told her that I was in the Mango jumpsuit she picked out for me, and, somewhat sheepishly, admitted that we went dutch during the date. This provoked an outraged "Ano ba yan!" from my sister. I explained to her that this was European custom, and I just wanted to make the dude feel comfortable.
A few minutes after the call, the phone rings. Oh my, my sister told my overprotective aunt, who lives in Las Vegas, about my date! Just then I wanted to kill my pregnant sister. Okay, the big guns are calling. I needed to be calm and get this over quickly.
This is a translated approximation of our conversation.
"Is it true you went dutch?"
"Well, yes. I just wanted to be polite and follow their customs."
"He's in the Philippines!" she exclaimed. "He should be following our customs!"
"But how would he know about our customs? He's barely been here for a week?"
"Well, educate him."
"Tita, he's a poor German student. Like, he receives money from his parents. He doesn't work yet. I just didn't want to impose."
"And why, of all places, would you go to some secluded place in Quezon City? Why go so far?"
"This is not a secluded place! It's right along E Rodriguez! It is not a strange far-away place! Besides, this is my favorite restaurant. I celebrated my 22nd birthday here!"
"Fine. Is he with you."
"He's right beside me."
"All right, we'll talk later."
I had a bad feeling about this.
To Thomas' credit, he did admit that he felt embarassed because while I worked for my money, he still relied from dole-outs from his parents and the German government. Ahh, welfare.
-----
The very next day, my aunt unleashed the furies.
"Why would you allow yourself to go on a date and go dutch! Do you know what that shows? It shows that he doesn't respect you! He has no idea what you're worth!"
"Nooo it does not! I was just following customs! I just didn't want to impose."
"He's the one in the Philippines, he should adjust to our customs."
"Tita, just because we went dutch doesn't mean that he doesn't respect me; I've gone out with Filipino men who paid for everything who turned out to be complete assholes."
"If he really was a decent person, you wouldn't have gone as far as Quezon City!"
In a withering tone, I replied, "Tita! I tell you right now: you won't find any decent men in the world."
"I don't think so. I don't think so."
Exasperated, I snap back, "besides, he's white. We don't really know how he thinks! If he pays for everything, he might expect things from me!"
"No, that's not true. What about Steve? I don't think he expected things from you."
Steve was her former boss, a Bill Clinton look-alike twice my age who treated me to P 11,000 dinners and gave me my Canon EOS SLR camera in a bid to curry my favor. My family was seriously pushing me to marry him, but I said no because it was gross and I felt that he was not trustworthy. I was vindicated a few years later.
"Really Tita? Really? Do you really think Steve expected nothing from me?"
"Oh well, really, next time, if you know the dude has no money, just take him to a cheap place"
"Look, the only reason I took him there because it was quiet. He wanted quiet. You don't find quiet in Makati."
"There has to be other quiet and cheap places in Makati."
"Tita, believe me, all the cheap and quiet places in Makati are beer halls. Otherwise, the quiet places in Makati hawk P 150 beers. That's the cheapest beverage on the list. And you know I don't drink alcohol."
This battle was completely pointless and ended in a draw.
I found comfort with my friends and my mother, who totally saw my point. My mother even gave me a piece of advice. "That's why I never dated Americans when I was single. Once, an American guy courting me brought a box of chocolates to our house. I thought they were for me, but it turned out that it was for him."

Nikki Alfar
Tobie Abad
Gabby Lee
Andre Mischa Cleofe

12 comments:
As long as you had you a good time I wouldn't bother listening to your relatives' advice. They mean well but they're not you. Continued luck in your dating adventures.
Ai-yaah. Why tell this aunt about the date in the first place? Is she that close to you or your sister?
For that matter, I've always thought that it's more of a chivalric tradition than a Filipino tradition: Man and woman go out, man pays. I'm aware that the modern world has since turned this tradition on its ear, however, and that there really shouldn't be anything wrong with going dutch.
I figure that, as long as you don't pick up the tab every time you go out with him, then you should be fine. There are practical considerations to think of here, both on his side and your side.
"That's why I never dated Americans when I was single. Once, an American guy courting me brought a box of chocolates to our house. I thought they were for me, but it turned out that it was for him."
Priceless! Ha ha ha! :D
I have no idea about European dating customs, but here...the general rule is whoever asks, pays. Which is why I never asked (well -- mostly it's because I'm chicken like that). But I always, always offered to pay my share. Only my guy pals or boyfriends ever accepted my offer though.
I know many women choose to pay half so the guy doesn't "expect" anything. But I never got that -- what's so difficult about just saying No? :)
Anon: Stephen? well, yes...
we just watched a movie and will go to an art exhibit on friday. I think we're getting somewhere.
Gigi: Well, it's kinda muddled. I did offer my services as a Manila tour guide first. It was his idea to turn it into an 8pm dinner the next day.
Sean: My aunt is meddlesome like that. She is a bit of a control freak when it comes to the family, and yes we are close-knit. I never even told my Mom about the German! I most certainly didn't tell my aunt, either.
JOnas: Hilarious! :D
bloghopped from gigi's.:)someone should have a lonely-planet kind of manual for dating.german, italian,filipino.do's and don'ts.and not written by our nosy aunts.
*lolz*
This is one of the many reasons why I do not discuss about who I am going out with my folks(aside from the ones they set me up with,that is......*sigh*).
I am not so familiar with European dating customs myself,but I think it is pretty much a universal law that it is the guy who usually picks up the tab....that's unless the girl asked the guy out,of course.Going Dutch is okay,I guess.....but a wee bit fussy to me.(something abt having separate bills kinda affects the whole date mood thingy)
Blue-chan: When your date starts counting money in front of you very slowly, it is a sign that you should go dutch.
kyck: Yes, I agree. The "INternational Rules of Dating?" Hahaha! I'm really not that much of an expert, though.
When your date starts counting money in front of you very slowly, it means that he should really know not to count money in front of other people. :)
Let's all take it easy on my white boys - will ya please! Lol.. yea they can be assholes and selfish - but aren't all men like that at some point.
I thought it was pretty big of you to pick up the tab - here in the US I never pick up the tab on a first date. But I say good for you for being understanding that he doesn't know your customs yet.
"Blue-chan: When your date starts counting money in front of you very slowly, it is a sign that you should go dutch. "
Holy heck....In my opinion,if your date starts counting money in front of you very slowly.....forget about going dutch,just pick up the whole tab.
And I agree with shawn,it aint wise to count money in front of other people.
hi! i hopped over here from rene's blog. :-)
i honestly didn't see anything wrong with you going dutch, if you guys were just hanging out as pals, and especially since you offered to tour him around manila. that means that you were acting as host, and picking up the tab at that point was part of simple courtesy and hospitality on your part, so to speak. :-) i think it was even kind of you to be sensitive to his 'hints' at just being a poor student.
now if he formally asked you out on a date, then that's a different story. when that happens, i believe that the general principle of "whoever asks, pays" (which gigi also mentioned earlier) should be followed.
in any case, i'm impressed at what you did. we gotta ditch convention once in a while and just spread a little kindness, you know? :-)
Post a Comment