In lust with life!

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

SONA-A day in my Life

What I like about being part of the entire State of the Nation Address ceremonies is the feeling of being invited to the year's most exclusive party. Granted, I'm working the entire time, but being in the same room with the President, dis-"honorables" and people from all over the country? I'm basically rubbing elbows with people from diverse professions, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.

I feel privileged to be part of the staff every year. It stirs my sense of patriotism and hope that maybe, things will be different. To be part of something that makes the country work (though many of us are frustrated because things seem to be going otherwise) is something that completely blows my mind.

This is the first SONA I've worked as a photographer. I was an usher in the past years, before I asked for this assignment.

Anyway, here's the SONA through my eyes.



The media setting their gear up for the big event



Menial task of the day: I was with Mrs. Boss in her car. We were cruising through EDSA when my mistress had a hankering for bananas. I ran across Guadalupe Market, in heels, looking for a bunch.



With Miko's Nikon F4, attached with a 300 mm lens. Damn that bitch has a fat ass! I had to lug that four pounder all day. Playing with the boys in the photographer's gallery. No flash, bawal sa proceedings eh.



Hello, Ramos?



Mindanao lawmakers applaud the parliamentary/federal government proposals.



The "pala" boys. Look at them generals! Uniforms!!!!



You have to love the free food.



Thomas, A German intern working for the Konrad Adenauer Foundation. Saturday's bound to get interestin ;)

SONA Fashion

Always interesting



Somebody's gotta tell him that Tony Ferrer is the original "da man."



A Manobo mother-daughter tandem. Gotta love the outfits!



Wonder what he's saying?



Don't hate her cos she's president.

6 comments:

Sean said...

It's about time somebody posted an insider view of the SONA proceedings, I say. :)

That said, how'd you get assigned to the SONA? And how'd you get to pick your job (photographer > usher), for that matter?

Arashi-KIshu said...

It's a bit complicated, but the long and short of it is: I work for The Boss' Media Affairs Office. There are 5 House of Rep photographers, so I had to ask the House Deputy Secretary General (my direct boss) if I could be a trainee-photog for this gig. He agreed, as long as I had my own equipment.

House staff are automatically ushers for a congressman's guests, though the Inter-parliamentary Relations Service department staff are the "official" ushers. I have the option to show up or not show up, but I always do :)

diamondblue said...

nice catch cathy, can't wait to hear the details! hmm, he kinda reminds me of nick carter though...oh well, have fun with your yummy date

Arashi-KIshu said...

Les: Hahaahha! ;P
Presea: don't worry, malapit na rin yun break mo. The funny thing is it happends every year but I only appreciated this privilege in last year's SONA.

jactinglim said...

You look nice in the suit, btw :D Whee!

Anonymous said...

i like the last part of your post...the one with the pix of gma

'Don't hate her cos she's president.'

i couldn't agree more!

o btw, cool that you were at the SONA. i don't normally watch sona's but i figured i would do this time around. my way of supporting our president...umm in a tv viewer kind of way :)

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past