In lust with life!

Monday, July 18, 2005

A Week in Narcoleptic Hell

I now realize why I was a klutz with bad skin as a teen--it was because was constantly sleep-deprived at the time! It wasn't because I didn't want to sleep. It was because I couldn't. I was constantly reading, daydreaming, watching tv,burning telephone lines, passionately into the Band of the Moment or crushing/swooning to realize that it was already 2 am on a school night.

Cathy now knows that she needs her sleep. Yes, sleep is indeed my friend.

The rumor was only the start of a week where technology and my mind seemed to work against me. It has been a very busy week, adjusting to my new routine, of being up late at night to submit stories on time to my editors in the US, then waking up at 5 to get to work for the Boss.

This Monday, on the way to the gym, my foot fell into a gap between the metal grating that covered a deep gutter in Pasay Road. I had not realized that some bufoon had sawed off a key in the grill, creating a hole big enough to accommodate my foot. Poor me has a dark, dark bruise near my elbow and my left knee. Had I not been holding on the jeep I was going to board, I would have dislocated my hip.

Tuesday,Wednesday, and Thursday was a blur, and I had literally traversed all of Manila in those two days. Days seemed to blend into each other, and I recall feeling the same light-headedness I felt the time I stayed up for THREE STRAIGHT DAYS to finish my thesis. Though I don't drink coffee, it had sustained me through that entire time.

I was supposed to meet my sister on Friday afternoon for an afternoon of shopping fun. I was on my way to deposit cash into my BPI Family Bank ATM using their Express Deposit Machine in their Park Square 1 branch when the machine not only ate my card, it also ate my P 1000 deposit! An hour of consternation later, I was told that I could only retrieve my card on Monday, but they would have to verify whether I did deposit money into my account. If verified, they would only credit it to my account on Friday!

Saturday afternoon through early Sunday morning devoted to a night out with the girls. After spending hours at the Starbucks near the Robinsons Galleria theaters, we decided to take the party to Libis. It was in Libis where I realized that I had left my wallet at Starbucks! I literally felt my knees buckle as I mentally ticked off what important documents I had in my wallet. It was at this time that I felt grateful that the machine ate my ATM. I called every person I could think of who lived in the Pasig/Mandaluyong area to plead, if they can go to Rob Gale and ask the Starbucks staff if they had found my wallet. My friends were either asleep or out of the house. (Me: DUH! of course, it's a Saturday night!) After ascertaining that only my debit card was in danger, I called the card company to have it cut.

Thank you, thank you honest Starbucks employees for keeping the wallet and giving it back when I returned the next day! Oh joy! My card was still cut, but at least I have it back, and I knew that my money was safe.

A lesson learned: I need my eight hours.

2 comments:

Sean said...

It's at least nice to see that there are still some honest people in this world.

jonasdiego said...

Cathy: I was very impressed with them (Starbucks) when you related the story last weekend. :)

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past