Thomas will leave the Philippines on February 10. He will come back in a year.
Will we survive a long distance relationship?
I don't know.
He wants me on the plane with him.
How can I go?
I have nothing waiting for me there.
No job, no scholarship.
MY life savings are just enough to buy a round-trip ticket, from the Philippines to Europe, and back.
He is furious because he thinks that I have no initiative to improve myself, to gain international experience. Because of our cultural differences, I believe that he misunderstands my "bahala na" attitude toward working abroad as a lack of initiative to improving myself. I feel that my life here is good, and there's no need for me to go overseas. If the opportunity presents itself, why not?
He says that I need to work harder at getting a career abroad, because people rarely succeed if they just wait for something to drop on their lap. He feels that I am acting like one of these people.
He says that my chances to work abroad dramatically decrease at age 28. I didn't believe him at first, but I was proven wrong. The UK's Highly Skilled Migrant Program specifically states that your chances to work in the UK are better if you're below age 28. He says that it's the same all over Europe.
His idea of helping me find work? Forwarding job leads from Monster.uk. As if Brit headhunters abroad would hire a Filipino stranger without working permits to the UK!
We're ok now, but this issue is simmering under the surface of daily life. It's the monster in the back of the closet, the unspoken problem coming between us.
What to do? What to do?

NikkiAlfar
Tobie Abad
Gabby Lee
Andre Mischa Cleofe

No comments:
Post a Comment