Contrary to a Libra's supposed virtues, I am a competitive person.
I like to compete. I guess this is one reason why cosplay appeals to me so much. I like competing against myself, discovering new things, new ideas, new ways of doing and being. I also like the idea of pitting myself, my work, and my abilities against other people. Whenever I win or land in the semi-finals of a contest, I don't bask in the glow of victory. The thought that always runs in my mind is, Oh no, what could I do to top this?
I would like to think that I am a good sport, gracious in both victory and defeat. I am not a win at all cost kind of person, and am more likely to use whatever means is at my disposal. I have used my charm to get into and get out of many, many interesting situations.
However, I draw the line with pageants. Despite my family's continued proddings, I have never been comfortable in competing in events that pit beauty against beauty, physique against physique. That is just not fair. Short of plastic surgery, there is really little one can do with the looks that God gave a person. One can alter looks, but really, being judged with a criteria so subjective, how can anyone say one is more beautiful than the next? How can a competition based on that be fair? It may sound hypocritical from someone who joined (and won) a beauty pageant, and I may eat my words some time in the future, but that's how I feel about beauty pageants for now.
I like competing in events that I can prepare for, with a goal that I can work toward. Today I will be joining the Slimmer's World Olympic events squats competition, where I will compete against several women to do the most squats while lifting weights equivalent to 50 percent of the competitor's body weight. For me, that is equivalent to about 55 pounds. I've been preparing for this for weeks now. I never imagined that skinny me will be asked to lift weights!
Yes, I have many flaws. I am self-conscious, vain, sometimes pompous and self-centered. In joining competitions, I'd like to think that I'm building character, in my true quest of being the best me I can possibly be.
In lust with life!
Monday, May 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Pageants usually provide little reward to anyone with a good sense of pragmatism, which is truly sad if one thinks about it.
Personally, I'd like to see a pageant that devotes equal requirement to mental and physical qualities sometime. It probably wouldn't draw as much attention as a 'normal' beauty pageant, though, which is even sadder.
Competitions, though, are fair game. Literally.
Post a Comment