In lust with life!

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Slaving Away for Slave Leia


Cosplay fever. Lack sleep.

Can't watch the Revenge of the Sith tonight. My costume is only 40 percent done and if I ever hope to finish it in time for May 23, I have to put in a lot of muscle. The universe has conspired to allow me to finish my costume by cancelling my appointments for this week, and am racing feverishly to complete it.

I had a lot of trial and error making the costume, and admittedly, I kind of let other priorities take over the past weeks, hence the cram. Thankfully, my dad has supervised my progress and helped me create things here and there.

I learned that lacquer based paint and plastic insulation for wires don't mix. Stickwel Glue has proven once again that it really is god, and that oh, candle wax is a great substitute for molding clay!

Then yesterday, my cosplay cabinet collapsed. I've expected it for sometime now, since the assemble-it-yourself container I bought didn't seem to be made of the sturdiest materials. I guess the sheer weight of all my costumes and knick-knacks I've accumulated over the years have taken a toll. To count My costumes (costumes only, excluding the wigs and props) are:

From Cowboy Bebop: Faye Valentine and Electra Ovilo
From Anito: Maya and Tinio
Kill Bill: Gogo Yubari (yes, including the mace)
2 Kimonos: 1 yukata and my L5R Kachiko costume
A Spice Girl maxi-coat I made for a school production in 1998
Mimiru/Black Rose from //.hack
1 gothic lolita ensemble I designed.
A Sumomo (Chobits) costume my niece outgrew before she got a chance to wear it.
Sailor Mars
Aeon Fluxx
Kunoichi

Cosplay is really a guilty pleasure: I feel so guilty that I like it so much! Sometimes seeing suffering people make me feel guilty that I can afford to cosplay. Sometimes I feel that the money I spend cosplaying is better spent on other things. But I can't seem to stop! I like the fact that I learn that I am capable of doing things I previously thought I couldn't do. I made the front plate of the Slave costume all by myself! Hooray!

I thought that I would've outgrown the bug by now...but if anything, I've infected my other friends with the cosplay virus! It's great but in the same way...I kinda wish i could find something else more...adult to channel my creative energies to.

As for now...no time to waste. Gotta...finish...the...costume....

4 comments:

Sean said...

You've got a Tinio costume? Tinio, from Anito? Oh my God...

Sean said...

Placed a link to your blog from my most recent post. Hope you don't mind. :)

Arashi-KIshu said...

forgot to include my Elektra Natchios costume.

jactinglim said...

Haha! You'll need a walk-in closet for your costumes soon enough ;)

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past