
The photo that landed the online edition.
Try to see what life is like in my side of the fence.
Since Thomas wants to see all the green that we have in the Philippines, I signed him up as my "photographer" for a whirlwind trip to Calapan, Oriental Mindoro for a Greenpeace event. Honestly, Greenpeace's "radical" reputation had me nervous about embarking on this trip. Since they mysteriously sold their "big story" as a "great photo opportunity," I was afraid that this would involve trekking to the mountains and camping out. I am not Ms. Camper Girl.
I excused myself for a day from job # 1, so Thomas and I braved the pouring rain, traffic, and floods to get to the Greenpeace office in Quezon City. We were briefed by Leah Guerrero, the Greenpeace media officer who I later found out to be the fabled "Anime seamstress" of the cosplaying world. Long inactive now in the cosplaying community, she was previously employed by the Hans Seidel Foundation, another German NGO like the Konrad Adenauer Foundation where Thomas works. Since we had several things in common, I was put at ease, because I knew a stranger, who was not quite so removed from me.
--------------
7:30, my ass. It was 8 pm, and we were still waiting for the other media people who signed up for the trip. We finally left at 8:15, for a long, tiresome trip to Calapan.
The ferry reached the Calapan port at 2 a.m., three hours late from the estimated time of arrival Greenpeace had told us. By this time, all the media people and photographers have become a merry band of brothers, exchanging crude jokes and stories. Thomas was practically drooping, while I had my eye on the things that needed to be done. The Municipal Agricultural Officer of Naujan, Oriental Mindoro picked us up from the ferry. Though I told Thomas that we should try to act "professional" and try to act as if we weren't related, people kind of smelled it anyway. Since the jig was up, Greenpeace set us up in the same room.
Grace, the other media officer, told us that they will pick us up at 7 am. Oh boy.
----------------
Last one in, early to rise. I was up and surprisingly un-groggy at 6:30 am. I showered and dressed, then woke up a recalcitrant Thomas, who wanted more sleep. 7 am, my ass.
They finally arrived a quarter to 8. At least everybody is ready.
------
Too bad we never really got to see much of the island. We were there to work, after all. They took us to a nearby corn farm, where Greenpeace volunteers were dressed in weird "biohazard" suits, which didn't look protective enough from what unknown danger they are shielding themselves against. Apparently Naujan officials are protesting the entry of genetically engineered BT Corn into their province. The Spacemen began uprooting the corn plants, as they explained that they were wearing the suits to prevent the spread of BT pollen. I wonder if anybody informed them that the wind can spread pollen as well.
Thomas is a good shot, and is in fact, better than me. Good thing that I brought him as well, since I had my hands full interviewing people and getting details. We left at 9 am, racing against time to catch the 9:30 am catamaran back to Batangas. Alas, no dice. We had to wait for two more hours for the next boat. Thomas and I whiled away the time with eating and playing his stupid German cards. Of course, I lost. Oh fun.
------
The three hour journey back to Manila under the pouring rain was really not fun. We arrived home drenched to the bone, and only had enough time to shower and attend Toastmaster's Club. Hm, maybe I'm not cut for the Amazing Race.

NikkiAlfar
Tobie Abad
Gabby Lee
Andre Mischa Cleofe

No comments:
Post a Comment