I like breasts. I don't like bras. I do understand the need for and the benefits of a good pair o' underwear. I am a certified lingerie connoisseur. I am willing to fork over a lot of money for a miniscule piece of cloth. If there are two things that women should spend on, it is a good pair of shoes and a good pair of underwear. Other girls are into shoes, others are into bags. I definitely have a thing for lingerie.
Then why don't you like bras?
Because it's so damned frustrating to shop for one!
It's almost as complicated as finding The One. Aside from the fact that no two girls have the same sized jugs, even a girl's own pair are slightly asymmetrical. Flat chested girls are actually the luckier ones. Any full-chested girl has her own frustrating bra-shopping epic to relate.
But aren't bra sizes standard?
No they're not!
Check this out: In a Wonderbra I'm a 70-B; Avon and Triumph a 70 A; Any other brand I'm a 34 B. Every lingerie company has their own idea of how far out is far out. Unlike a guy who can stick their pair in any old pair of underwear, girls have to be more particular.
Yesterday I tried on 10 different pairs in three different stores before finally settling for a pair that I knew was perfect. Price tag: P 750. Yes, that's just for one bra. That's two pairs of shoes.
PMS
Another excuse for guys to pick on the abilities of females. Everything from flakiness to lack of leadership ability has been attributed to hormones.
I hate having my period. I can't do stuff. Changing tampons and pads could be a time-consuming business. I feel bloated, my tummy and breasts feel tender, my skin sucks. I am listless, more irritable and pessimistic in the first couple of days.
SAD MOVIES
I hate the fact that sad movies and news items make me cry. Yes, even those blatantly manipulative ones.
***
On a more serious note, what sucks about being a female is a culture of docility being pressed upon women. Women are supposed to be feminine, willowy, and all that blather. To have masculine traits is considered unattractive. To be anything outside the madonna/b*tch/wh*re spectrum is also unattractive. To stick out of a perceived category or label is considered unattractive.
The belief that women are weak and silent has promoted violence against our gender. I have sought counseling for experiences I have had previously, and learned that rape is not an act of violence that has nothing to do with sex but everything to do with power. A true man, a strong person, will never ever subjugate somebody else to feel power. Rape has nothing to do with the woman, but everything about the aggressor's feeling of inadequacy.
Jac, I feel for you. you should've spoken out sooner. Nevertheless, I'm glad that you have.

4 comments:
Thanks. It happened a long time ago. But I get saddened whenever I hear more women share to me their similar stories. It's becoming apparent that this is horribly more common that we think. I am actually thankful none of the attacks to me were fulfilled, for I always successfully fought them off.
That's all true, yes. But we're progressing. There are more and more people nowadays who refuse to subscribe to the notion of women being weak and silent, much less take out their fantasies of power on a convenient target. And there are many more people, in fact, who are willing to rise against those who would dare to do so.
Know that you have a lot of people who support you on this, Jac.
This is such a shallow comment compared to the rest here, but P750 for 2 pairs of shoes?!? I can't even get a single shoe for that price. In that one respect, you're lucky to be a woman. Ang babaw ko no?
a no is a no. when a woman says no, she means no. and when a man overrides that, it's as if he's erasing what she is, for aren't we our word? i just had to say something about rape, because no matter how mild the circumstances, it's still a violation.
i'm with you on the PMS part. it's even worse than actually menstruating. i could never do the tampon thing right. i have an entire set of different sized tampons and a traumatised vagina to boot. i've gone back to those icky pads again (with the attendant allergic rash to the singit). :)
Post a Comment