Reading the conclusion of Jonas Diego's A Girl's Story was like putting down a very satisfying novel. The storytelling was sharp and lyrical, the art was very effective in moving the story along. It may not have had a happy ending, but the story was thought-provoking and resonated emotionally.
What appalled me more than the guy's lack of compassion for a fellow human was his refusal to take responsibility for his actions. This is on top of my list of pet peeves. Every action has a consequence, a principle that is oft repeated in religion and science.
This is what I don't get with society: People love to hear stories of sex and scandal, but refuse to acknowledge the flip side of the coin.
This morning, after a night of partying, my girlfriends Jewel, Leslie, and I got to talking about our lying friends and gynecological stories. The conversation rolled at how people only want to acknowledge the good part of themselves, and would go to great lengths to lie about their weaknesses. People like them don't care if they step on toes, as long as they look good to those who they think matter.
Leslie noted that people only want to hear her sex stories, but her friends felt uncomfortable when the conversation shifted to the not-so-pleasant side of being promiscuous. Leslie and I are well aware that being sexually active could get us diseases or pregnant, and we are responsible enough to take precautions and look after our health.
Personally, I, too, am trying to find balance between my good and bad sides. I am struggling to acknowledge and accept my undesirable traits and embrace these weaknesses.
The more people try to cover up weaknesses, the weaker a person's foundation becomes. Leslie had earlier spoken about why the Japanese economy faltered as spectacularly as it did. I couldn't help but notice the similarity.
In lust with life!
Saturday, June 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have a few friends who are a little on the promiscuous side, and we discuss the good and the bad as well. In the end, though, we've found that it pretty much comes down to personal choice, and lifestyle.
It can be argued that one should really be free to live as one wishes without fear of exactly what other people think. But it can also be argued that one should allow others to live as they wish regardless of what he/she personally thinks.
In the end, it's really up to ourselves to decide exactly what makes us better people. Whether or not we act on that is another matter, but I suppose we should take one thing at a time...
It's admirable that you're at least taking this on. Better than, say, being someone who would refuse to acknowledge his weaknesses and failures.
thanks, Sean. I've seen others fail because of denial. I'm determined that it won't happen to me.
I can still be a judgmental person, though. still trying to work on that.
Much flattered, Cathy. Thanks! :)
Post a Comment