In lust with life!

Sunday, June 12, 2005

He's here! He's Queer! and He's HOT!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The many faces of Kyan Douglas

HE'S HERE! HE'S HERE! My favorite gay guy is here! Kyan Douglas, the grooming guru of the fab show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy came to Manila to spread his message of positivity and self-improvement.

I've been popping pills like crazy since Thursday, determined that I be well enough to go meet Kyan on Saturday. Because of the damned weather the skin on my hands has broken out in rashes and I've been feeling feverish, and I got my period on Friday. I was a giant walking ache.

I staked out the place as early as 10:40 am. There were already a few stragglers there. I've been debating for the past couple of days whether or not I should buy his book, which I've already read thrice. But sensing that the only way I could get thisclose to Kyan was if I had a book signed, I decided to splurge. (bye-bye this week's budget!)

First one in, first one seated. I got the best seat I could, by the aisle in front of the stage. I dozed off in my seat as I waited, still feeling light-headed. Thank goodness I was wearing an unconstructed coat. When I woke up, the place was packed. All allotted seats were filled, and spectators and fans surrounded the cordoned area in the middle of the mall.

He arrived right on time. Girls started to scream, and he had a hard time getting the crowd to quiet down and hear what he really wanted to say. Poor Anton San Diego. He was the host, but nobody was listening to him.

Kyan spoke for the next thirty minutes about his life, how he got the Queer Eye gig, and his latest job as the first male spokesperson for L'Oreal cosmetics.

The reason why I like and identify with Kyan so much is because we have the same personal motto: To become the best person we can possibly be. He spoke about his life growing up, gay and Catholic in his hometown in Florida. He was a thin, shy, and awkward teenager, who disliked everything about himself. At age 15, he decided that he was sick of feeling that way and decided that he wanted to be fulfill his potential (lucky him! I reached that point at the age of 23). He studied Eastern philosophy, became active in yoga, watched his health and diet, and became a positive person.

He became involved in beautifying people by becoming a hair colorist. He excelled at his job and one day, one of his clients suggested that he audition for a show her friend was casting. We know the rest.

He encouraged everybody to "know thyself"--yes, it's unoriginal but it still rings true--to keep a journal, to become better on the inside. Feeling better inside, he said, will create ripples and affect how you look and feel outside. He also urged everybody to become the best at what they are doing, in whatever job or task.

For me, Kyan is the embodiment of how becoming the best you can be lead to success and other unexpected blessings. He is passionate about beauty. He worked as a salesclerk at cosmetic booths in department stores, before becoming a colorist for Arrojo Studios and a stylist for magazines and TV shows. He was perfectly happy and content and good at what he was doing and the world became his oyster.

He then answered questions submitted earlier about himself, his views on Manila and his stay here, and the show. One girl asked Kyan to marry her. Women screamed as Kyan slowly got down to one knee, then stood back up and said, "Sorry, maybe in another lifetime!"

As I lined up to get my book signed, the uber-strict handlers forbade me to have my pic taken with Kyan. He heard this and was kind enough to say "Oh okay, then you can take a picture of me while I sign your book!"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kyan signs my book!

I told him that his message resonates. He seemed touched by what I said and thanked me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kyan signs more books

As I headed to the exit, I noticed that Kyan's car was parked near the entrance. So I decided to park myself right there and take more pictures. People multiplied as soon as word got out. Good thing I was in the middle of the landing, right behind the guards. People started to push when Kyan headed to the car, as I vainly tried to get a good picture. The poor girls who were near the stairs (it was only about 3-4 steps) tumbled down the pavement as they bore the brunt of the force of the "domino effect." I think one of the girls was the president of Pinoyslayers, the local Buffy fan club. I looked at them and tried to see if I could do anything, but other people had already helped them to their feet. Besides, I was no longer feeling too well, so no gatecrasher stories for you guys!

I slept until 8, and decided that I didn't want to be sick alone and went home to ParaƱaque.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Oh well, I have my book, I have his autograph, and I met Kyan. I am a happy munchkin.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! I think I saw you last Saturday! =) Were you the one in the white tanktop?! =) I think we were both seated on the fifth row... Am I right??? =) Didn't think I'd find you here! Anyway, I had a GREAT time last Saturday too! Kyan's also my favorite mong the five... He's sooooo HOT! =) I have posted some pics on my site... Just visit if you have the time... =) Can I save the pics you have here? Hope to hear from ya soon!

Shelly said...

I love you for being able to take nice pics of him!!

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past