In lust with life!

Monday, June 13, 2005

Make-Up 101: Eyes

Alrighty people, let's hustle. Moving on to the eyes.

Now men, women may seem to be risking blindness when they put on eye make-up, but really it's all for your benefit. Why the heck would we go through all these lengths to be pretty? Now when the make-up people say they want to "make the eyes pop," it means to make the eyes more noticeable.

Girlies, DO NOT look for them fancy ways of creating the illusion of bigger eyes or what not: that's not what this series is for. All I'm teaching are the basics.

Oh, and another thing: One of my pet peeves is when women color both their eyes and lips too strongly. Pick one area. Choose. Make up your mind. What's your asset? What do you want to emphasize? The eyes or the lips? If you're not appearing on TV, there's no use getting over-painted. P.S., don't forget to shape yer brows people!

Now that that has been established, let's move on!

Step 1: Put on eyeshadow. Now, I'm not a big fan of eyeshadow because there's so much room for goof. So to minimize goof (and having to re-do your eye-makeup), choose neutral colors like browns and pinks, something close (but not too close!) to your skin tone. Choose 2-3 shades you really like that belong to the same color family. Make an imaginary line dividing your eyelid into two or three. The darkest shade will always go to the part nearest the lashes. The lightest shade near the brows. DO NOT over-shadow or you'll look like you have a shiner. Black eyes, in my book, are unattractive. Think of your brows as the border. DO NOT put shadow past the part of your eyelid under where your eyebrows end. This is the imaginary border. However, this is not a hard or fast rule so go ahead and experiment!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Note on shadows: I am not a fan of blue or green eyeshadow, because of the aforementioned margin of error. However, I've seen morena girls with green eyeshadow and look fab. So my tip, keep it sheer, and use shimmerry, not matte eyeshadow. Or else you'll look like Mimi from The Drew Carey Show.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Step 2: Apply eyeliner. My sister uses liquid eyeliner, but I prefer soft-tipped pencil eyeliner that smudges easily, because it doubles as eyeshadow when I am in a hurry. I just place my finger over the corner of my eye, gently drag, and voila! Line the part of your brows where skin meets the lashes. I don't put eyeliner under my eyes because a) that's so 80's! b) Philippine humidity quickly gives me raccoon eyes c) more risk of poking my eye out? No, thank you!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Step 3: Pencil in the brows. Just trace in the lines and follow the shape so your eyebrows. YOur eyebrows should looked "filled-in" and "groomed." Use just enough pressure to darken your brows just enough so skin won't peek through the brush.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Step 5: I know Kurl-lash looks like an implement of torture, but it really does make your eyes seem wider. I swear! So close your eyes and curl away, then apply mascara. My sister is using Ever Bilena Mascara gel, perfect for the daytime, and it also doubles as an eyebrow groomer when I'm too lazy to use eyeliner (why, yes, I'm a lazy oaf).

Tip: Sometimes I apply black mascara at the outer part of my lashes, and clear mascara at the hairs closer to the corners of my eyes for a "Betty Boop" effect. Very dramatic.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I hope I haven't overloaded your brains with too much information, since you still have FOUR more people to visit! Hope you enjoyed this stop! Ta-ta!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Nikki
Alfar

Tobie
Abad

Gabby
Lee

Andre
Mischa Cleofe

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUP! He's so hot and I got the #1 tag but I wasn't the first 1 to get his autograph! Were u able to have ur book signed immediately? Cause it took me 30 minutes to get on the stage!

jonasdiego said...

Channeling Kyan are we?

Wow! Wish I could've gone too. From what I've been hearing from a lot of people, he was a very talented and inspirational speaker. :)

Sean said...

Eyeshadow application sounds oddly similar to pastel coloring, from the looks of it. I mean, you can't have it too light, you can't make it too dark, and you have to know how to handle the shading...

Apparently I'm not the first person to observe Kurl-lash's resemblance to a torture implement. Shouldn't eyeliner be considered one as well? I mean, one gets this really uncomfortable feeling once one realizes just how close the sharp object is to one's eyes.

Arashi-KIshu said...

Jonas: Of course! Yes, he is a beautiful person, inside and out.

Sean...yeah. yeah...well, that's why eyeliner makes me cry!

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past