In lust with life!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Why I'm Not Sold on the 'Yan ang Pinay' Movement

Some people may find it strange that I'm not all rah-rah about the "Yan ang Pinay" movement, since I'm usually a rabid supporter of causes on women, and I'm proud of being Filipino.
However, I don't--and I can't--subscribe to a cause that I feel is a quick reaction, a palliative, to yet another thing that happened to offend our prickly national pride, no matter how noble the intention is. I've seen this before in my line of work. Congressmen would quiclkly jump to the defense of the Filipino at the first report that we are being slighted by foreigners without verifying reports, often making a mountain out of a molehill.

First of all, what is the "negative" perception of Pinays? That we are sex objects? Mail Order brides? Domestic help? Sweetheart, Pinoy Pride aside, our country's sad economic reality has forced our people to migrate wholesale, much like the Irish during the turn of the 19th and 20th century. The world knows this. Sex object? What woman isn't a sex object, either willing or unwilling? Italian women don't mind their wholesale reputations as bombshells, do they? Bottom line, YAP will not solve this "negative" perception, nor is a step toward a solution. We cannot convince foreigners who have preconceptions of what a Pinay is even if he or she meets a Pinay who isn't a sex object, a domestic help, or a mail-order bride, even if he reads article after article on the virtues of the Filipina. Blogging about the Pinay will merely flood the web with more chatter.

Second, changing the definition of the label "Pinay" is merely the different side of the same coin. This still promotes the same "herd" mentality that promoted the "hostile" image in the first place. Intellectually, we know that not all the French are rude, Not all Englishmen have bad teeth, not all Japanese have a driven work ethic. Good or bad, a label is a label. I don't think all foreigners are stupid enough to judge an entire race of women because of the decisions of a few. To assume so is demeaning intellectually, depriving people of the thought process to actually judge for themselves and form their own opinion. Aren't we also perpetuating the same prejudice, casting the same judgmental eye, on our Pinay sisters who decided to sell themselves because of their own will or for economic reasons? Maybe we should try saving those who were truly exploited by white slavery rings. Besides, shouldn't we consider people as individuals rather than attach a reputation to them, deserved or undeserved?

Lastly, are we, as a people, so insecure and have no self-esteem so as to be offended by the fact that some Pinays have chosen to be prostitutes, Domestic Help, or Mail-Order brides? I feel that the YAP movement has more to do with ego than with patriotism. In Cebu, onions are called "Bumbays." I don't hear protests from the Indian community. People poke fun at the French's reported snobiness and they take it in stride. The English make jokes at their own reputation of being hygenically-challenged. These Pinays may have given Filipinos a bad name so it needs to be "changed." Unless we, as a people, stop complaining, get some discipline, follow laws, and become kind people, Pinoys will always get a bad rap.

I'd like to talk about the woman I admire the most. My aunt, Marietta,put herself through college, has been the breadwinner of our family, has been my mother figure, and survived cancer. Could her attributes have something to do with being a Filipina? Partly. But it has more to do with the fact that she's an amazing human being.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
NikkiAlfar
Tobie Abad
Gabby Lee
Andre Mischa Cleofe

13 comments:

drivebyshooter said...

"Lastly, are we, as a people, so insecure and have no self-esteem so as to be offended by the fact that some Pinays have chosen to be prostitutes, Domestic Help, or Mail-Order brides?"

Unfortunately, I think we are. We Filipinos always seem to be looking for some figure to really behind. We've fawned over too many celebrities with even a hint of Filipino ancestry, with Jasmine Trias being the latest incarnation of the Filipino Idol. Heck, at some point, we (not so) proudly proclaimed that Andrew Cunanan was of Filipino descent. I guess this 'Yan ang Pinay' movement is just another cause for us Filipinos to trumpet.

Sean said...

"Yan ang Pinay" strikes me as a spur-of-the-moment cause, something that may very well be forgotten after a few years once Google readjusts its page rankings. But I suppose that we can't fault its originators for their good intentions, and I have to say that it did enlighten people as to how a good chunk of the outside world perceived the Filipina. I'm glad, at least, that I contributed a couple of links to it.

Now, what about a "Yan ang Pinoy" movement? While the Pinoy in general isn't quite seen in a negative light, it's not as though much of the international community recognizes us for our contributions and achievements... yet. :)

jonasdiego said...

Blogging about the Pinay will merely flood the web with more chatter

Actually the whole point of the movement is to flood the web with chatter. Chatter about Pinays. So that people will get variety, so to speak, on what a Pinay is all about when they search the web.

As I said before, when you Google the word Pinay nowadays the majority of what you get in the results are mail order brides and what not. Me, I’d hope for foreigners to see the other faces of the Pinays when they do this search.

Definitely we do not seek to demean those who have gone the way of mail order brides and exotic models. It’s a fact of life. The goal is to add something more to search engines results (a Pinay is a mail order bride, an exotic model, a lawyer, a scientist, etc.).

I don't think all foreigners are stupid enough to judge an entire race of women because of the decisions of a few. To assume so is demeaning intellectually, depriving people of the thought process to actually judge for themselves and form their own opinion.

We’re just trying to add a little more variety of what a Pinay is as defined by search engines. I don’t see how that progressed to actually demeaning intellectually and depriving people of the right to form their own opinions.

Aren't we also perpetuating the same prejudice, casting the same judgmental eye, on our Pinay sisters who decided to sell themselves because of their own will or for economic reasons?

Again I ask, when have we stated that we are demeaning or being judgmental on our Pinay sisters who have taken the route of the mail order bride? The stated purpose of this movement is to bring to light through search engine results the other facets of the Pinay of which exotic models and mail order brides is a part of.

We also got the moms, the scientists, the artists, etc.

We exhort people to write about the Pinay in their lives or maybe put pictures in their blogs of their moms or girlfriends in the hopes that these will also pop up whenever a search for Pinays is conducted online.

Maybe we should try saving those who were truly exploited by white slavery rings.

Well everybody has their cause. Sadly I do not have the resources (I would settle for super powers, however) needed to save those exploited by white slavery rings. I do, however, have the means to do my part in changing the search engine results even if it takes one link at a time.

So I would do that instead.

Unless we, as a people, stop complaining, get some discipline, follow laws, and become kind people, Pinoys will always get a bad rap.

Well, we see eye to eye on this one at least.

I'd like to talk about the woman I admire the most. My aunt, Marietta,put herself through college, has been the breadwinner of our family, has been my mother figure, and survived cancer. Could her attributes have something to do with being a Filipina? Partly. But it has more to do with the fact that she's an amazing human being.

It’s good that we tell the blogosphere about her then. Let the world know that there are amazing human beings out there and let Pinays know they have one of their own they can be proud of still and she’s right here at home.

God knows we can use a bit more inspiration nowadays.

Great article, Cathy! :)

Arashi-KIshu said...

Yes, I admit, it is a noble cause, aimed at educating other people on the "different facets" of the Pinay. But I think that we are fighting hasty generalization with another hasty generalization, trying to replace a stereotype with another. It just smacks of trying too hard, of an onion-skinned race unable to see that the truth is, people hardly, if ever, think of Pinoys. And we most certainly are not perceived of as the three "dreaded" descriptions.

To assume that non-Pinoys are "miseducated" on how Pinays are like, that is what I feel is the basis of the entire YAP movement.

There's jut too much chatter in the web.

To assume that foreigners are educated on how Pinays are like solely on what they read on the web? C'mon!

Yes, the YAP has not explicitly said that they demean our Pinay breathren who participate in the whole mail order thing. But the mere fact we want other things to pop up when we type in the word "Pinay" says a lot.

And I strive to write though provoking things. I'm glad that there are people out there who don't agree with me. Hopefully, something you guys say may change my opinion.

jonasdiego said...

But I think that we are fighting hasty generalization with another hasty generalization, trying to replace a stereotype with another.
Where is the generalization here? What is this new generalization that we are trying to replace the old one with? The movement is aimed at showing that the Pinay is multi-faceted. How can that be a generalization?

I don’t remember any sweeping statement such as “the whole world looks at us like shit” or something in that vein.

To assume that non-Pinoys are "miseducated" on how Pinays are like, that is what I feel is the basis of the entire YAP movement.
The movement is not running on any assumptions, as far as I can tell. This movement was born when a search engine result depicted Pinays in a very narrow field of interest (exotic models, mail order brides, etc.). Seeing that, some people decided that there should be more up there (writers, artists, lawyers, etc.).

The movement is targeting very specific goals (do-able and achievable) which is a more balanced depiction of Pinays in search engines.

The basis for the movement has been stated very clearly in every statement related to it, I think.

To assume that foreigners are educated on how Pinays are like solely on what they read on the web? C'mon!
I am not assuming anything but you have to admit that what people read on the web contributes (even a tiny bit) to their over all perception. Especially nowadays that more and more people are getting their information via the cyberspace.

The web has become a very influential (though relatively new) media especially in latter years.

It’s impact cannot be overlooked and underestimated.

But the mere fact we want other things to pop up when we type in the word "Pinay" says a lot.
Yes, it says that we want the world to know that there is more to us than what’s at the top of the search engine result.

I mean despite being proud of being a cosplayer don’t you want other people to get to know you’ve other interests and talents? There’s a side of you that writes thought provoking articles or another side that cried when you witnessed the human carnage caused by a natural disaster.

If you don’t tell people about these the only thing they’ll see about you is the side that cosplays. How many of your casual and passing acquaintances actually go through the effort of doing in depth research (stalker-ish, I know) or just take the time to get to know you better and just rely instead on hearsay?

People are multi-faceted beings.

We’re just taking it a bit further and applying it to a search engine...through a blog-wide effort. It’s not mandatory and you can have a bit of fun doing it. It might not be as noble as other causes which other people take up but it is something that’s within my capabilities (and everyone’s capabilities) and I believe that every little thing helps fix the bigger picture.

As I said in one of my stories do anything except doing nothing.

And I strive to write though provoking things. I'm glad that there are people out there who don't agree with me. Hopefully, something you guys say may change my opinion.
I hope so. I'm glad you took the time to address your concerns. It also helps people to think things through and it also helps to properly frame things like this in the minds of the ones who support them.

Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

I think if the last thing we as a people can hold onto is our dignity in saying that we are more than just what a Google search can tell us, then so be it. It's a fine line between generalization and stereotyping, a line which I fervently attempt to differentiate in my post.

And inasmuch as not ALL foreigners think Filipinos still live in trees and not ALL foreigners see Filipinas as domestic helpers, that doesn't mean we shouldn't mind those who do. We should. The need to uplift the Filipina image may be higher up in Maslow's Hierarchy of needs than food and shelter, but it's still a need, nonetheless.

And for once, it's a need the people in the Y.A.P. movement can actually do something about.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention. This is Kel. Blogger refuses to let me log in.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I don't like the term "Filipina" at all. It's so archaic. I can't think of any other nationality that distinguishes between male and female. After all, why should we? Men and women define their own roles these days, what does the kind of equipment you were born with have to do with your nationality, right? Which is why I refer to myself as a Filipino woman, period.

But that's a rather different issue.

Although I admire the good intentions of the YAP movement, I think the efforts of the intelligent, outspoken people involved in it would be best served to find a way to fix the root of the problem -- poverty. Trying to improve the image of our women on the internet by telling people they're not all whores and mail order brides is like spraying on nice cologne when you haven't showered for a week. It does nothing to help the plight of poor women who have to become mail order brides or have to turn to prostitution to earn a better life for them and their families.

Arashi-KIshu said...

Precisely, Ms. Anansi.

I repeat, this campaign is about ego, not patriotism. I remain unconvinced.

As a Filipina woman, I am myself. I have nothing to prove.

vonjobi said...

anansi: perhaps you don't like the word "filipina," but it's not going to go away. so we might as well try to do something about it.

arashi: "this campaign is about ego, not patriotism"? jonas has been very diplomatic, but the truth is that you've been making some very hasty generalizations.

jonas and i are men whose egos will not be hurt if filipinas' reputations online deteriorate even further. "patriotism"? i don't recall that was ever an issue.

YAP is really very simple: balance the filipina's image online. other people are working on poverty. please don't look for what isn't there.

Anonymous said...

perhaps you don't like the word "filipina," but it's not going to go away.

Oh, it will. Someday. Wait and see.

Kel Fabie said...

Kathy...

That's great for you. Now, tell that to other people who don't feel the same.

We won't impose upon you with what we think should be done to uplift the Filipina's image if it is of no consequence to you. I'm glad you don't impose upon us to cease and desist, either. But please don't presume this is a matter of ego or patriotism. Not everyone in this makeshift movement shares the same motivation with everyone else.

Anansi...

"Poverty". Isn't that what everybody else says? If you have great ideas to ease poverty, be my guest. We frankly don't.

Not everybody can be a superman/superwoman. As a Humanist, the best I can do right now is write about the human condition in hopes of uplifting it, the Filipino/Filipina condition being the primary concern, for obvious reasons. If I had a great idea for eradicating poverty, I'd go for it. I don't. I repeat: I hope you do. I also hope you'd carry it out, if you do.

If not, then I rest my case.

If you feel so queasy about the distinction between Filipinos and Filipinas, that is merely a matter of preference. Being looked down upon? That's not a matter of preference anymore.

Poverty has ALWAYS been there, Anansi.

Looking at Filipinas as little more than mail-order brides or domestic helpers? It hasn't always been there. Ergo, it can change.

The more we say "let's concentrate on other problems", problems that we really have no idea how to solve, the more we fall into the trap of paralysis by analysis. Pardon me, but I refuse to walk into a trap like that.

How ironic. A prophet is never welcome in his own homeland. I always thought cynicism was so passe, but so many people as of late have revitalized my faith in cynicism. < /sarcasm >

Arashi-KIshu said...

Where is the generalization here? What is this new generalization that we are trying to replace the old one with? The movement is aimed at showing that the Pinay is multi-faceted. How can that be a generalization?

That foreigners think that Filipinas are all...you know. MOB, DH, Prostitutes.

Dearest Kel and vonjobi.

Thank you for your interest in my post. But your sarcasm and hot-headedness are not welcome here. We are having an intellectual discourse here, and I DO understand and appreciate the diversity of opinions, I RESPECT THEM.

Dear Vonjobi, my friendship with Jonas has nothing to do with the issue, so please don't invoke his name ever again. Wag nyong personalin. BACK OFF.

Dear Kel. BACK OFF. I respect contrary opinions. but please, no snide remarks. Your sarcasm is not appreciated here. Don't take it too seriously. I like the fact that you're all noble and idealistic. We need more people like you. However, I don't appreciate people turning rabid. Rabid people become radicalists, and we all know what they do. Wag mo rin personalin ang pinaguusapan dito.

These discussions are turning toxic. This is the last time I'm speaking out on this matter. Other posts will no longer be entertained, even if you agree with me.

"Above all, not too much zeal!"
--I think Napoleon said this.

About Me

My photo
Renaissance Woman Wannabe

They Read Me

Tides Past